Tuesday 26 March 2013

SOL: 26.313





Writing a slice of my life...one thing I...

One thing I noticed today is that JK is my quiet strength.

One thing I recognised today is that stress makes me vulnerable.

One thing I liked about today is hearing my boys say, “I love writing.”

I like it because although I’ve struggled with the slice of life challenge personally and in our classroom, my students are developing a love for writing.

My mood for today was cheerful as I contemplated the target plans that needed to be completed. The oral language assessment kit I needed to get from another teacher. I reminded myself about a scripture from the Old Testament. This scripture is about when Queen Esther went before the king to plead for her peoples lives.

“Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”

This scripture gave me strength as I thought about the pressure I was feeling at school. I believe this scripture gave me strength because I believe I am where I’m suppose to be and God will give me the strength to accomplish what I have to do. Obviously, I’m not Queen Esther but I drew strength from her life. She remained faithful to her people in a time that was difficult. She drew her strength from God.

I connected to someone day when I read another slicer’s post about feeling the pressure of being a teacher. She felt like she was in the wrong place. The fact that she had these doubts made me think she is exactly in the right place because she is reflecting about herself and her role as a teacher.

I feel I connected because last week I felt exactly the same.

Today is about believing that I have the best job in the world. I get excited about walking into my classroom. I think this because I love teaching and I love hearing children read. When a child at the beginning of the year knew no words, she was able to read 5 words from her word list to me. I hear children make connections with how Jolly Phonics helps them decode tricky words. I enjoy the chitter-chatter of my children talking about their daily lives.

One question I have about today is should I be more ambitious.

I thought that this question is important because I am I contented with the fact that a classroom teacher is what fulfils me now. I see other teachers being prompted and it makes me wonder. If God wants me to be more ambitious then I will be listening to his still quiet voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment