Thursday 14 March 2013

SOL: 14.3.13

Writing a slice of my day...I learnt

Today I went on a course called, Incredible Teachers Programme (C Webster-Stratton).  Quotes taken from her book and things I learnt.

I learnt that, "when students are disruptive or behave in ways that are counterproductive to students' learning, it all too easy for teachers to automatically react emotionally."

I learnt that, "rather than react to problem behaviours when they arise, teachers can anticipate the kinds of classroom conditions that are likely to produce disruptive or disengaged behaviours and take productive steps to prevent them."

I learnt that, "classroom structure provides the basic scaffolding framework that supports the child's ability to learn.

I learnt that, "predictable classroom routines and schedules, how transitions are handled, and clear guidelines for the expected behaviours, help children learn."

I learnt that, "giving hyperactive and inattentive students opportunities to move in appropriate ways." One example: provide a "wiggle space" in the classroom.

I learnt that, "be creative in your use of redirecting strategies-avoid repeated commands.  Use nonverbal and engaging activities.




No comments:

Post a Comment